[IP] Re: MiniMed and Daylight Savings Time

I'm sure all the other 508 users got this as well, but just in case.
This was received from MiniMed via Fed Ex.
November 1, 1999 MiniMed 508 Pump User:

MiniMed strives to provide each of our customers with the highest quality product and customer services. We understand how unsettling an alarm can be for both you and your family and apologize if you personally experienced any problems with reaching our Clinical Services Heipline on Sunday October 31st.

Over the weekend, some model 508 pumps experienced an A-37 alarm that occurred with the time change from Daylight Savings. This alarm occurs when the pump automatically updates its clock to adjust for the time change. Be assured that once this alarm is cleared, the pump is fully operational and will work properly.

As a result of the time change, MiniMed's Clinical Services Helpline received an increase in the number of calls. In trying to call the Heipline, you may have had difficulty getting through the phone system, been put on hold, or had your call returned later than expected. Due to this high call volume, we were unable to maintain our usual high levels of customer services. We are evaluating our processes with the goal to improve our systems in the future.

Since this alarm is linked to the automatic adjustment for Daylight Savings Time, please be aware that you may experience the same A-37 alarm with the next time change in April. MiniMed will provide you with additional guidance prior to April. In the meantime, do not hesitate to contact MiniMed Clinical Services at 800-826-2099 if you should have any additional questions, comments or concerns.

In rare instances, batteries may have been depleted in troubleshooting the alarm. To assist you, we are enclosing a complimentary battery kit.

You can also be assured that this situation is in no way related to any potential Y2K issues. The 508 and all MiniMed pumps are completely Y2K comphant and will not experience any issues related to the year 2000.

The rep who told you that the 508 just alarms to tell you the time has
changed from DST to Standard time is wrong.  Not only does the alarm go
off it sets all dates back to 1/98 yes 98 not 99 and time is not correct
and you have to check to make sure that all your basal rates are still
set correctly.  Some people reported that their basal rates were set to
0 which is and e-01 alarm.  I got the A-37 alarm first and the a E-03
alarm when I reinserted the batteries. I had to reset my pump from
2:00am to 1:00am west coast time.  Guess what happened at 2:00am again.
So when it hit 2:00am which is the new correct time I just reset
everything and set my time this time to 2:00am which is the correct
current time.  What a pain in the butt.  By the way I was out at a
halloween party at this time.  Thank god I was awake.  I feel bad for
those who were woken up by a problem that should of never been
introduced into a finished product. THIS IS A HUGE DEAL.  I AM SURE THEY
testing is for we should never be exposed to these things.  EVER, EVER,
EVER.  That is why is cost $5500.  It is a finished, perfect product
that is approved by the FDA.  I am sure the FDA has to be  looking at
this.  So we do have a problem here.  MM is supposed to be sending out
information to all the current 508 owners.  This info. is just wanting
to pass the legal dept.

I hope they fix this problem.  This is a not a minor problem.  Anytime
your basal rates are change either through actually changing the rates
or through a time change which changes the pattern of your current basal
rate for some, is a big deal.