email @ redacted wrote:
> I also have had diabetes 23 yrs and am 34 yrs old.  I have always wanted to
> throw myself into ketoacidoses to loose weight but never have the courage?  I
> feel so bad when I'm high I can't stand it.  Anytime my surgars go much above
> 170 I feel awful.  I have always thought that would be an easy way to drop a
> couple of pounds.  Wish I had the gusts to do it.  Please let me know what
> you have to say about this.

It's a TERRIBLE way to lose weight!!!!!

You have a couple of questions to ask yourself. How much do you weigh,
and why do you want to lose weight?

The reason I ask is that some women want to lose weight when they're
normal weight or thin. If that's the case, then you have OTHER issues to
work out.

Even when you're overweight (and a Type 1 CAN be overweight!!), you need
to decide how much.

The best way to deal with weight loss is to consult your doc about
whether you SHOULD lose weight or not, and if so, how much, and then if
he does advise weight loss, how to reduce insulin doses accordingly.

There are a number ways to lose weight, but some of them are extreme,
and cannot be maintained for life; most people find that as soon as they

So you need to find a way of eating (WOE) and exercise pattern that you
can comfortably maintain -- and not expect sudden or rapid weight loss.
A dietitian CAN help you, at least by giving you information; obesity
support groups can do that also.

But you also have to remember that we weren't all born to be thin --
once your diabetes is under control, your body is going to seek the
shape and weight level you were born to have. And what the popular
magazines show, and the way the actresses look is NOT necessarily normal
for YOU.

You have a lot to think about, and I wish you well!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted