Re: [IP] pump candidate

  My last HbA1C was 6.3.  I use NPH and Humalog and take 3
>shots/day...I like the flexibility of the pump but am not looking forward
>to the possiblility of ketoacidosis.  Is the pump beneficial for someone
>with >HbA1c's around 6.0.

  Hi! I have been pumping for two months with a MM 507c.  I was only
diagnosed 6 months ago --my A1c in the hospital was above 17 :( and after
three months on MDI (two shots humalog and 2 shots NPH a day, I brought my
A1c down to a 6.3   My doctor told me that it may not get any better, but I
think it will because my control has improved even over what it was before.
Besides, the freedom is worth everything.  I would not be overly concerned
about DKA with a pump--yes, it is a possibility, but a very small one as
long as you are careful.  I have not had any problems.

>The two different pumps I am looking at are Minimed 508 and the Disetronic
> >H-TRON plus V100.  I'm looking for information on what it feels like to
>wear >this thing all the time.  I am a little worried about sports. Would
>the cannula/site be in any danger if I were to fall on it while diving
> >into the sand.  With that, I am also looking for info on how long the
>pump  >can be left unattached.

  I have a minimed and am very happy with it.  No problems whatsoever and
the MM people have been helpful.  Also, my doctor was more comfortable with
them.  But both are great!! They are both pumps and both do the job well.
As for wearing it all the time . . .you've probably heard this from others
but I really don't notice it anymore after only 2 months.  Does it
occasionally bang against something or get caught on something? Yes, but
it's not a big deal.  so far I've had 83 people ask why I have a beeper, but
I wear it clipped to my pocket because I got tired of using the little cases
after the first week.  Too much trouble to open and close!! :)  I doubt the
site would be in danger during sports if you disconnect -- make sure you
cover the silouette with the cap so it doesn't get sandy.  And if you want
to be sure, just put some extra tape down to hold it in place.  I have been
unattached for about 4 hours before -- this was during and for several hours
after strenous exercise.  When I'm not exercising, I can go about 45 minutes
without making up for lost insulin.  Otherwise, I bolus for the missed

  I would highly recommend a pump -- it really doesn't matter whether your
A1c stays at 6.3 or goes down.  It gives you much better control and keeps
you healthier regardless of miniscule A1c changes.  Good luck!! --Gianna