[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #634

always refuse medical treatment.  My mother, a diabetic for 21 years, has
suffered from non-diabetes related illnesses this past year.  She has been
hospitalized and in nursing facilities that have no knowledge of insulin
usage, and has not been given proper insulin therapy (even after I - my
mother's primary caregiver and a diabetic for 32 years- and my brother - a
diabeteic for 45 years- have tried to educate them).  Do not rely upon your
endocrinologist or your internal medicine doctor!  Get a sense of what should
happen and test, test, test.  You are in control!  You know your body!  You
know what foods will make your glucose levels high and what will make them
low.  Just make sure you test, test, test and make notes.  If you can't
straighten your readings, ask for help, but question, question, question.  If
you feel you know what's right and you are given contradictory messages.
your glucose readings, written in a book, will give you ammunition for your
doctor.  But remember:  YOU CAN REFUSE MEDICAL TREATMENT!   But you must
test, test, test, and record the results.