Re: [IP] Thoughts on going on a pump!

In a message dated 11/6/99 1:59:25 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I spoke with my endo a few

years ago (I wanted something better than the injections) and he was totally

against it.  I haven't spoken to him yet, that's my next step, >>

Have you talked to the pump companies?  Minimed was very helpful to me in
talking to both the endo and the insurance co (I was pumping 2 weeks after my
initial call).   They also had info on which endos had pump patients and how
many (mine had only had a couple, now only has 1 other than me -- but she was
amenable to it, wrote a good letter).  When a doctor is totally against it,
it makes me wonder if he is just ignorant about it and doesn't want to bother
to learn.  After almost 44 years of injections and a little over a year on
the pump, I know which treatment I can do better on -- with injections and a
great deal of effort I could get normal HA1cs and a lot of lows; with the
pump the lows are much less of a problem, I feel much better, and I have some
flexibility in my life (and it still takes a lot of effort, but it is not so
frustrating because there are not as many unexplained excursions and it is
easier to fix the ones I do have).  And, oh, the joy of not having to eat if
I don't want to!

Linda Zottoli