Re: [IP] husband lost job

COBRA applies to all companies if they have a minimum number of employees.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is 25.  If you work for a smaller company, they do not have to offer COBRA.

We were in an insurance bind years ago and I found a group in Worcester MA called the Small Business Service Bureau.  If you are self-employed, you can join.  The cost is something like $75 a year.  They offer group health insurance for all members which is a heck of a lot cheaper than individual coverage.  At the time I joined, they offered 7 plans in my area - 5 of them without pre-existing conditions clauses (this was before HIPA).