Re: [IP] Chalk one up to stupidity

> I had a new experience I'll share with you in the guise of "Don't try this at
> home!" .  My husband woke me up at 5am a few weeks ago holding my reservoir
> (empty) in his hand saying "I think this fell out of the pump"  As I groggily
> looked at it, I remembered that I had just changed out that evening and
> should have about 150 units (humalog) in it....AND IT WAS EMPTY!!!!!!!!  I
> was immediately awake now, thinking I had just somehow injected 150 units of
> humalog and thinking that it's time for my first ever squad ride, when a
> check of the pump revealed it to have a full reservoir inside.

For those of you worried about the above, take heart, it has happened
and the outcome was fine. Time for another Lily story....

When she was twelve, we were camping on the American River. About
dusk, Lily gave her little brother a piggy back ride and he managed
to pop open the door to her pump with is shoe, partially flip out
the syringe and push in 90 units of Humalog. Lily came back to camp
and we spent the night eating and taking glucose. I don't remember
the amount of glucose, but lots + a lot of food as well. Basically in
addition to several hundred grams of food carb, she ate enough
glucose to move her bg's to 150 from whatever they were at each
measure ( usually 40 - 50 ) and she checked every 20 minutes for
about 5 hours. Yes.... Humalog lasts 5 hours. Take a look at the
activity curve and you will see that the tail is long, just not big.
However when you take a LOT, it takes a long time to absorb. Anyway,
by 3 - 4 in the morning all was well and we finally got some sleep. I
chatted with her doc after the incident and he assured me that oral
glucose was the fastest and easiest way to counteract this kind of
problem. Fortunatly, we happened to have plenty of food and 4 or 5 -
50 tab jugs of glucose with us. As I recall, the efficacy of the
insulin in that massive dose was about 50% of what was given and the
rate of drop of her bg's was about 400 points an hour (if there had
been no glucose or food). My suggestion under similar circumstance
would be to very aggressively eat glucose, probably more than Lily
did in retrospect, perhaps targeting a bg of 200. Be calm and have a
sandwich and a "real" soda + a few hundred grams (carb count) of your
favorite goodies.