[IP] Long term without complications

 Karyd asked.
>  I've been Type 1 for almost thirty years and have also suffered no
>  complications yet.  I have no idea why I have been so fortunate

Good genes, pure and simple...sometimes a person who takes diligent care of
them selves from day 1 ends up in dialysis in 10 years, while and the person
who tests once a week and over treats hypos never has a complication...

luck of the draw, though of course you can help or hurt by your own personal
level of control...but again, if your genes are the ones with the
complications intertwined, you may end up with them...and great contorl can
only delay them