[IP] pump choice

I just went on the Disetronic a week ago, after talking with multitudes of
pump users on both DIsetronic and MiniMed. I chose Disetronic, but fully
acknowlege, as we all should, that both pumps are great pieces of equipment.
As Suzanne said, I chose my pump based on my needs. You should look at both
and make your own decision.  Little things mean a lot when diabetes consumes
your life, and perhaps one of the small differences can mean a big deal to
you.

Here are the reasons I chose Disetronic:

1. You get a back-up pump (or 2 for 1). Some people program the back-up with
a "weekend" basal rate and switch pumps on Friday night.

2. Although you must use Disetronic batteries, they are covered by
insurance. Evereadies, etc., are not.

3. I can bring the pump in for a diagnostic check any time free of charge. I
understand that MiniMed charges a fee for this.

4. The Disetronic is waterproof.

5. The Disetronic emits insulin every 3 minutes; it takes your hourly dose
and splits it into 1/20 of the rate, then spits it out every 3 minutes.

6. I can set my basal below .5, even though I've seen info here from others
that it doesn't. I don't know where they got that.

7. The Disetronic people were great to deal with.

8. The buttons on the Disetronic allow you to bolus through fabric or
without  seeing it, due to their positioning, so you don't need a remote.

It was a tough decision. Like I say, they are both good pumps and you can't
go wrong with either. I have nothing against MiniMed and the most important
thing is that if a person wants to be on the pump, they have the option to
do so.