Re: [IP] Long term without complications

Additional thoughts on the stats conversation --

The DCCT was held primarily to test the hypothesis that tight control could
ward off or prevent complications. It was NOT held to determine the
incidence or numbers of people who get complications from type I diabetes.
You're talking apples and oranges here.

The numbers of people who have complications isn't going to change if you
ask yourself why they get them.

So the DCCT stuff is irrelevant when talking about whether or not the stats
show that people have or don't have complications.

50% of type I diabetics do not get major complications. The stats about
occurence of complications show that they kick in typically after 10 years
with the disease, occur most frequently between 10-25 years, and after 25
years, the risk of incurring complications lessens greatly.

Remember, I never said there's a guarantee they won't occur; just that the
chances are greatly less. This coming from someone who never took a math
class between 10th grade and grad school; then took grad stats and almost
died from it.