Re: [IP] Anatomy lesson:Blood vessels and veins...was gusher

area is a blood vessel. They are called veins, arteries, venules,
and capillaries. They will all bleed, in varying amounts when cut. If
you go
through one of these when inserting a set, the catheter left in place
may be
sealing it, preventing a blood leak into the tissues (bruise or
When you remove the set from the site, then you dislodge any small clot
may have sealed off the injured vessel and the leaking blood will take
path of least resistance by following that fresh opening directly to the

skin. If you see blood in the tubing, or a bruise that gets bigger under
skin, or if it feels like a knot under the skin and it hurts, remove it
start over. If you don't see blood, you won't know about it until you
have a
gusher. Apply pressure for a few minutes and it should stop. Don't rub
you will stimulate more bleeding, or the bruise will be larger.
Apologies if I seem to be lecturing.
Barbara B.<<<<<

Thank you SOOOOO much for this really great discription Barbara!  I was
reading this thread about gushers and my eyes were popping out of my
head, already in a panic!  Yikes!  I feel alittle better now!  Some of
us have never seen a gusher and had no idea what it was or how it