Re: [IP] Long term without complications

Dale and Kathleen,

I've had extensive conversations with two of the world's top diabetologists
-- I work with them at the Univ of MN. They've shown me the stats, which
demonstrate that major complications tend to start from 5-15 years out. If
you make it past 25 years without the major comps, your odds of developing
them drop greatly. I was very reassured by this and they have reiterated it
to me several times. But still, I went on the pump 10 days ago to hedge my
bets.

Also, take heart in that 50% or more of type I diabetics do not develop the
major complications.

There's no guarantee, but reassurance. My daughter is 21 and no diabetes
yet. I was also told by these diabetologists that if she makes it 10 years
past my anniversary age of diagnosis without becoming type 1, her risk drops
greatly. MY oldest sibling was also type I, at age 10, so our family risk is
high.

Dawn