Re: [IP] 3 a.m. testing -- I vote YES!

> At 08:21 AM 11/2/1999  ager wrote:
> >Having pumped for the past 4 months, having checked and re-checked my night
> >basals (by eating low-fat, low-protein dinner EARLY), I now realize that I
> >simply can't awaken each morning with good BGs UNLESS I test in the middle
> >of the night and correct those inevitable highs.
>
> If you are consistently high at 3am, that means that your basals are
> not set correctly. If you gradually raise them at night until your
> 3am highs get down to normal, then you won't have to go through the
> regular middle of the night testing ritual anymore.(I start mine
> higher at 2am, so that by 3am they'll be coming down). Look at our
> website for a lot of hints as to how to change your basals safely.

I would take issue with the above statement. Your basals can be set
correctly to guarantee you won't go low in the night. This does not
necessarily guarantee you won't be high in the morning. Example: Lily
usually consistently rises 0 - 70 points from bedtime to 2:30 with a
typical rise of 50 points. However every couple of weeks she does not
and the result is a bg of that is 70 or lower. Sunday night was
atypical. I woke her at 2:30 and her bg's were 40 over the next hour
she consumed 15 glucose tablets before her bg's finally stabalized at
about 110. That's 45grams of carbo! Nothing was unusual about the
day, the dinner was normal and not late. This pattern or lack of one
happen frequently enough that the we tolerate the usual bg rise and
correct at 2:30. Mornings are usually in the 100 - 130 range.
Personally I'm not interested in walking in and finding her twitching
on her bed. Once was enough. I am very gun-shy about being overly
aggressive with night time rates. I realize that everyone is
different, but a least with young people there seems to be a very
high degree of variability in basal response from day to day.