Re: [IP] 3 a.m. testing -- I vote YES!

In a message dated 11/2/99 3:22:31 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I don't know who this is, but the solution to you problem is very simple.
You have to adjust your early morning basal rates.  I have the same problem.
I wake up in the morning with high blood sugars too.  I'm working on
adjusting my basals to compensate.  There is not need to eat minimal amounts
of things, or get up at 3 am all the time.

This would be true if the same thing happened every night.  I believe the
original poster was talking about a situation where things varied.  Having
gastroparesis, my situation is one of great variance, and I also usually test
during the night (as well as after every meal, since sometimes food doesn't
get processed and I go down rather than up).  I, also, figure that the
quicker I can compensate for a high, the better I will feel.  And, yes, in my
situation, eating minimal amounts of fats and proteins before bed is
necessary to have any clue at all as to what will happen.  With pumping and
good control, I hope you never have to consider these things, :-), but those
of us who were diabetic back in the dark ages ( I was diagnosed in 1955)
often have to.