Re: [IP] 3 a.m. testing -- I vote YES!

At 08:21 AM 11/2/1999  ager wrote:
>Having pumped for the past 4 months, having checked and re-checked my night
>basals (by eating low-fat, low-protein dinner EARLY), I now realize that I
>simply can't awaken each morning with good BGs UNLESS I test in the middle
>of the night and correct those inevitable highs.

If you are consistently high at 3am, that means that your basals are not
set correctly. If you gradually raise them at night until your 3am highs
get down to normal, then you won't have to go through the regular middle of
the night testing ritual anymore.(I start mine higher at 2am, so that by
3am they'll be coming down). Look at our website for a lot of hints as to
how to change your basals safely.

If you are having a problem only with certain high fat meals, and you have
a MiniMed 507 or higher, try using the square or dual wave functions to
compensate. If you have a Disetronic, I've heard that there are ways to
simulate the square wave function... maybe a Disetronic owner will add
their two cents in here.

(who hates to get up in the middle of the night... and has enough trouble
getting up in the morning the way it is)