Accommodating DM (was RE: [IP] school parties & my personal turmoil!)

I have to agree with you about DM being ignored when it
comes to accommodations.

Last week I fractured one of the discs in my back.  I now
have to walk with a cane (hope that it is just temporary).
It is amazing to me how many doors are being held open for
me now.  I go to the grocery store and the baggers and/or
manager(s) run up and offer to get one of the little
electric carts out for me.  It's like the cane brings
respect for some reason.  Maybe we need to wear signs
saying "I have diabetes -- be nice to me."

--- Curtis Lomax <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Referring to the conference.....
> This is the same thing that happens to kids in school.
> People rush to
> accommodate the deaf and wheelchair bound, which is
> great, but fail to
> understand that diabetics could benefit from the same
> interest.  Now on the
> great scale of the "10,000 things" , all that I am
> interested in is lack of
> active discrimination.  On one hand, how can we (I) get
> so out of joint
> about school officials when a disabilities conference
> doesn't even take
> diabetes into account?  I guess what gets me, is that
> there is generally
> resistance even when discrimination is exposed to school.
>  Oh, well, they
> are behaving for now.
> Curtis Lomax

*  -- Susan K.  (^i^)               *