Re: [IP] HA1C tests and lows

Ruth Schneider wrote:
> geneva had her last one done post MDI and it was 7.7   (down from 9.1) ...
> this is with a mix of lows/highs.  (70-280)

Just curious -- do you mean Geneva's BGs have been ranging between 70
and 280?
I don't interpret 70 as a hypo -- just HEADED toward a hypo, and you
treat it because you don't want it to go any lower. But the 70, itself,
is a snapshot number within normal range. (I hope this makes sense)
> are the people who are having such great results  (below 7.0)  having some
> severe lows or are you pretty much in a normal range most of the time?

You need to know that the same A1c number does NOT mean the same average
blood sugar for different people. Although the medical establishment
seems not to have figured this out, there are studies that show this to
be a fact.

Some of the people who have low A1c's simply don't glycate very much.
Sometimes this is because of documented abnormal or unusual forms of
hemoglobin, and other times, it can be from other causes, like consuming
a lot of vitamin E!

Whether this low glycation rate of hemoglobin translates to a low
glycation rate of OTHER tissues is unknown, so a low A1c doesn't
necessarily translate into protection from complications.

The highest A1c I EVER had was 7.1, and at the time, my BGs were ranging
from 150 to 360, with a period of a few hours over 300 every day. For
some reason, I just have low A1c's and have learned to interpret them

The important thing in Geneva's case is to monitor the TREND in her
A1c's -- and evaluate how they coordinate with her daily testing log.
Daily testing will tell you whether she's having a lot of highs and
lows, and I tend to agree with Michael that the most important thing to
concentrate on FIRST is stability.

Once you've achieved stability (or as close as you can get -- I know how
hard it is with a child!), then you can evaluate whether you want to
work on lowering the general level. I think an occasional mild hypo is
part of the territory, but frequent or severe hypos are unacceptable!

You have to balance daily quality of life with a number that gives you a
statistical probability of future complications, but is in NO way a
guarantee, one way or the other.

I've gotten to the point where I pretty much know where I want my A1c to
be, and I just try to hold it there -- and I DON'T compare myself to
other people, because the comparison is meaningless, anyway.

Good luck!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted