[IP] give a girl a pump. . .

This is the crux of it!  Thanks for saying it so well.  It's that old
adage: Give a man a fish, and he can eat for today.  Teach him how to
fish, and he can eat for a lifetime.  The new adage: Give a girl a
bolus, and she'll be healthy for a day.  Teach her how to bolus (and
count carbs and change sets and phone her medical team and advocate for
herself in the face of ignorance and make wise, strong choices about
food and exercise and do battle with moronic insurance companies, etc.),
and she'll be healthy for a lifetime.  Especially if we define health
not only in physical terms but in terms of being strong and sure and
independent and comfortable navigating in the world.