[IP] Re: what can hospitals do for newly diagnosed?

> I thought I would post
> >here if anyone had any suggestions on things hospitals can do to make
> >things better for those with D and new diagnosis.

Acknowledge that being dx'ed is scary and overwhelming.  It's important to let
the person know that this is not the end of the world, while still giving them
permission to be a little freaked out by the news.  Unlike my pediatrician. . .
the night I was dx'ed at age 16, I had driven to her office alone for what I
thought would be a quick check of a cyst in my neck.  She was a good
diagnostician and put together the signs and diagnosed me before my bg reached
600.  Her bedside manner wasn't quite so hot.  As I sat there in tears, she said
to me, "You are getting too upset.  This is not that big a deal, and you will be
fine."  And then I drove myself to the hospital to have the final confirming
blood test done.  Compassion is very, very important especially in those first
few days.  The person I remember most is the incredibly patient, kind LPN who sat
with me in my hospital room the next day while I did my first shot.

I think, also, that the doctor/hospital needs to understand that a diagnosis of
diabetes means (or should mean) a permanent change in lifestyle.  During that
initial window of time, you have the opportunity to set the stage for that
change.  Don't just tell people what to do.  Tell them why those things are
important.  Give them back some of the power they feel they have lost.  And have
other diabetics available for them to talk to!!  The other person I remember from
my hospital stay was the diabetic boyfriend of a friend who heard about my
diagnosis and made it a point to come visit me.  I had never met him and didn't
keep in touch with him afterwards, but his visit put me at ease in a way no
information could have.  Here was a person who was somewhat like me who was out
there living with diabetes and doing o.k.  That's a very powerful message.