From: Bob Burnett <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] BD Mini Pen
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 18:33:42 +0100

I have a BD Mini Pen. I got it when I was back to pumping Velosulin - I
thought the 1/2 unit increments would be great.

The first pen I received leaked at the end where the needle attached. It
seemed like the cartridge never fit real tight, and when you released the
piston mechanism, you could see insulin leak into the neck of the pen. The
replacement unit does not do this, seems to work o.k.

It's the only pen I ever owned. The only reason I chose it was for the 1/2
unit increments. However, I would have been just as well off / better off
with a "sturdier" pen that uses 1 unit increments, with a 1 unit minimum. I
think Owen Mumford makes one, and Novo might have one. The Novo pens are
not "approved" for "non Novo" insulin cartridges (ala Humalog), as an FYI.
Many folks use them with no problems, though.

Check around, talk to a bunch of folks. I'm not an experienced pen person,
but if I had it to do again, I'd choose a different brand and not worry
about the 1/2 unit increments. In the total scheme of things, that would
not have made much of a difference in my control.

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted