[IP] Re: Interesting Article

    Wow. Interesting CNN piece. So what happened in your case, Becky? I hope it was resolved to your satisfaction. I have had only a few instances where I suspected my diabetes affected an employer's decision, but nothing that serious. Nowadays, my diabetes seems to work out to my advantage--need extra time for medical appointments or to check blood sugars? Ok! This "special" treatment results from my employer not really understanding diabetes at all. (I need to do a little educating!) So it works out for me. Ok, but there was this one time that I always wonder about:
    Several years ago, I applied for a publishing/PR job and went through a 3-hour series of interviews with various managers. During the first interview, I was asked the standard question about goals & values, and I answered that my health was important to me. A true and valid answer that should also make them understand that I am responsible. But I somehow managed to mention my diabetes. The manager informed me that the person who previously held the position had diabetes, and resigned due to the stress and her health.
    I went to another manager's office on another floor for the next interview, and she somehow already knew that I have diabetes! After a few diabetes-related questions, the interview went well. Ditto for the third manager.
    But at the final interview after 2 1/2 hours of this grueling stuff, I felt my blood sugar dropping. I had taken a little extra insulin, anticipating stress and not wanting to have a high BG and have to use the rest room or get a dry mouth when I had to do all kinds of talking. I didn't think I could wait it out and fake my way through, and I didn't know how much longer it would last. So I had to pull out a carton of juice and nonchalantly sip from it as if this was no big deal. But I was perhaps a little spacey for a bit. The final interviewer didn't want to see my clippings or resume. He asked me repeated questions about my health and about diabetes, which I gladly answered.
    When I left, I was sure I had the job. I had all the qualifications, the interviews went well, and I had worked for a competitor doing identical tasks. But I was soon called and told they had offered the job to someone else. The manager I spoke with asked again about my health, and asked if I wanted to work somewhere with more "regular hours and workload." I was a little shocked and angry, so I declined the offer to work elsewhere with the company.
    Discrimination based on my diabetes? I don't know. I have always wondered, though. Nothing I could do about it. I reassure myself that I wouldn't have wanted the job anyway. I don't know who the previous job-holder was, or what her health was like. But having a hypoglycemic reaction in the office probably didn't help me!
    Pre-employment screening sounds legitimate to me, on the one hand, but I don't like to see needless discrimination--the type that violates the Americans With Disabilities Act, etc. I think pre-employment screening is probably a real concern for smokers and overweight persons, who could covertly be passed over for jobs, promotions, etc., based on an employer's perception that the employee will frequently be ill or absent. It's a very delicate issue, but it sure stinks when I think I was passed over due to diabetes.