Re: [IP] basal rate question

I'm sorry that you are "sickly as of late". Last week I went from 150 to 80 in 50 minutes. This happened 3  hours after a humalog meal bolus. What I finaly understood was that my basal insulin was too much.

In your scenario as I understand it, you ate dinner with a BG of ~400. Your BG did not go up after dinner, then it dropped like a rock. I would not eat with a 400 as I would be queezy with a side ache. When the BG dropped I would regain some apetite.

Now mathematicaly you are taking too much insulin. Think of it this way for instance: you need 1 unit but take 1.3 units. So when you take 3 times you are off by 0.9. But, when you take 7 times you are off by 2.1.

>>> GTE/notebook <email @ redacted> 11/30 1:57 PM >>>
Hi Everyone :0)
I have a question. I received my pump the other day and will be pumping on the
14th. I am a little concerned because my D-team is setting my basal rate at .6u per
hr. I know this works out mathematically with what I am taking now but it seems
like a lot since H peaks fully whereas the Uand L I take peak but not at a near
full value so, I am wondering if others on this list started at this rate and how
they did. This may be a perfectly "normal" starting rate and it just seems high to
me. I already test tons so I will be watching it closely but others insight is

One other little thing does anyone else experience a greater per unit BG drop when
they take a larger then normal shot to compensate for a high. I take 1 unit for
every 22.5 carbs well last night I took my BG before dinner it was way high so I
did the math and took my shot 9 units, now I knew in the past when I take this much
insulin I have trouble with lows so I checked my sugar an hour after dinner and it
was still 390 where I started so I thought cool I should be back around normal in
about an hour, well in 45 minutes I started feeling "funky" and my BG was 38. I
treated it and went low again in an hour and treated that etc...  Now I did not
take anymore or less insulin then at any other time just more cause my bg was so
high but same scale. So I don't know why the volume of insulin would work with a
greater lowering capacity when it is given at the same carb ratio. I only have this
problem when I get above 7 u of H in one shot. If you know why please let me know
Thanks and Take Care
Sickly as of late but happy anyway