[IP] exercise

> Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:25:33 -0600
> From: "todd e. meurer" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] exercise
> Mary wrote about problems going too low when exercising.  I have the same
> problem.  I run 3-4 miles about three or four times per week.  No matter
> how low  I turn down the basil or how much in advance I turn it down,  I
> have problems with lows while running.  I have found that I need to make
> sure that I am at least 170 or higher before I start my run or I will get
> too low.  Sometimes this means that I have to eat a snickers bar 10 or 15
> minutes before I exercise.   I don't mind the snickers bar and I am not
> exercising to lose weight so this whole process is not too much of a
> problem.  But, if anyone has any better ideas, I am willing ot listen.
I typically run 3-5 times per week (1/2 -1 hour).  I have found that it
is just trouble to disconnect longer than a half hour or so, you may
rise later because of the time delay.  Usually one hour does not
make any difference.  One thing is not to exercise within two hours
of eating.  It is very difficult not to go over 200 then still go low
(especially high heart rate execises like running).  When I have not
eaten for a while, I usually do not go low in 1/2 hour no matter what
my exercise.
    I sometimes go on 50-60 mile bike rides.  I found you cannot cut
basal more than 1/2.  The trick I find is to figure how much you are
going to eat and how often.  This is the easiest way to do it.  I
usually eat about 15-30 carbs per hour continuously while riding.
You can't just cut basal and then not eat.
   I found a lot of help in the exercise section of "stop the
rollercoaster."  It seems a little confusing at first, but once you
understand it, things make sense.
I keep checking here and other places to find as many tricks as I
can.  I don't think it works better to go hi then execise even though
it is easier at first.
       I did meet some people who run marathons - try that for tricky

Michael O'Hara
Galehouse Construction