[IP] Interesting Article

Thought this was an interesting article from CNN.  I copied the article to
my message,
or you can click on the URL below to read it.

A similar situation actually happened to me about 12 years ago.  I was
hired for a job.  They told me to
come in one day early to fill out insurance information papers and meet
with the co. nurse.  I
disclosed on the insurance papers that I had diabetes.

Later that day, they called me and said that I wouldn't be hired after all.

They said they "hired too many people."  (Uh, yeah right).

I made some phone calls and got a hold of the plant manager.  He told me
that they could
not hire me because I might have siezures on the job (stupid idot that he

I immediately called the EEOC.

                  Employers' use of medical tests raising fairness concerns

                  November 29, 1998
                  Web posted at: 10:03 p.m. EST (0303 GMT)

                  From Reporter Kathleen Koch

                  WASHINGTON (CNN) --
                  Employers in the United States
                  are increasingly requiring
                  medical tests of both potential
                  and current employees, including
                  drug and alcohol tests.

                  And while that's perfectly legal
                  under certain circumstances,
                  some critics believe many
                  employers are crossing the line
                  and using test data improperly.

                  "What we're seeing is employers who are trying to find
out people
                  who might be sick in the future, who might run up the
                  medical bills, and (efforts) to screen them out, even
though the
                  company knows they can do the job perfectly well," says
                  Maltby of the American Civil Liberties Union.

                  One case being closely watched is a suit brought against
                  International by the Equal Employment Opportunity
Commission on
                  behalf of more than 80 workers who applied for jobs at an
                  plant that produces plastic parts.

                  Harold Chambliss, 59, was one of them. He says he was
given a
                  physical and a test designed to see if he might someday
                  carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition caused by repetitive

                  "They told me I didn't pass the carpal tunnel test, which
I didn't know
                  what it was, actually. Never heard of it," Chambliss

                  "I felt like I could do probably about any job that they
had up there,"
                  he said.

                  Medical testing is legal once a job offer has been made
and during
                  the course of a worker's employment, provided that the
exam is
                  directly relevant to job requirements.

                  But the EEOC charges that Rockwell was using testing to
                  out people it thought might one day become a burden.

                  "The decision whether or not to hire someone ... cannot
be based
                  on insurance considerations, workers' comp considerations
-- any
                  kind of speculation about what might happen to the person
in the
                  future," says Peggy Mastroianni of the EEOC.

                  Rockwell, which no longer owns the plant, denies it did

                  In one recent survey, more than 75 percent of companies
said they
                  perform some sort of medical screening, with most of the
focus on
                  new hires.

                  "You can't hire people to do a job who are physically
incapable of
                  performing it -- not only today when you hire them but
tomorrow and
                  down the road," says Eric Greenberg of the American
                  Management Association. "So employees' health is a
                  concern of employers, and that's why these tests occur."

                  The scope of testing may soon become wider. Genetic
testing is
                  expected to become more common as the cost of the tests
                  down and as they are perfected to detect more potential