[IP] Ouch, that hurts

Yes, EMLA requires a prescription.  We've found that 40 minutes makes Jenna 90% numb, and she tolerates it very well.  We use Tegaderm on top to be sure none leaks out.  She likes it better of course if we've got an hour or more to be 100% numb, but sometimes there just isn't time.  She detests putting in a Comfort set without EMLA but we've had to do that on occasion, too, just take a deep breath and jab fast.