Re: [IP] Using Pump with Saline need Help

> Here is some other thoughts:
> I have had a few concerns with the MiniMed 507 Pump.
> 1. They should loan out the product I will purchase for $5,000 not a
> unit no longer in production?

I'm unclear what this one means so can't be any help here.

> 2. The belt clip has a problem and in two days the pump fell off about
> 4-5 times and once the pump opened and the reservoir fell out.

I've had a pump for 17 years (since I was a teenager) and a small minimed
since they first came out.  My pump has fallen off the clip 3 times:  two of
them I had not clicked the clip in all the way (it was out of the slot), one
time it was with a ten year old clip and the clip was simply broken (it
snapped in half).

My pump door does get looser after 5-6 years with each new model but that is
easy to have fixed and since I almost always wear the case, it is a non
issue.  Even when the door opens, the resevoir cannot fall out because it
clicks into place.  Perhaps you didn't snap it in all the way?

> 3. After I removed the cannula  I bolused 5 units then 10 units no
> saline came out of the cannula and the tubing had many bubbles and air
> spaces.

Is this a set that is inserted into you or on the table in front of you?
I'm not clear exactly what you are looking at but here's a try:

If you are starting a new set, you need to squirt the insulin all the way
through the tubing until it drips out the far and then bolus3.0 or 5.0
(depending on which size tubing) units until the insulin forms a drop at the
end of the needle. In other words, nothing will come out the end unless the
tubing is primed and you have bolused through units to engage the
resevoir.   If the catheter is inserted in you and you are pumping saline
you will know you did the insertion well when you can't tell if any insulin
is coming out.  It burns or  hurts a little when you get it near blood
vessels, nerves or other tissue and if you leave a site that hurts in too
long they tend to get infected or to get hypertrophy (true with any pump and
any long term needle, not just minimed).  Children and thin people sometimes
experience some burning from large boluses but over a few months should
build up enough fat in site areas to buffer it.

Whether or not the tubing has bubbles and air spaces will depend on your
filling techniques.  The problem has nothing to do with the pump.  You need
to practice reducing air bubbles when you fill the syringe.  A few air
bubbles won't hurt anything.  Lots can cause a few problems.  There seem to
be 8-10 very successful much of the time techniqes that have been shared on
this list serve.  I think I use a combination of something that is close to
five or so of them.  Saline is not insulin so it may "bubble" differently
than insulin.

> 4. After I hooked up the new infusion set I called MiniMed support and
> asked why the alarm didn't sound.

I'm not sure why an alarm should sound unless the tubing is clogged in your
stomach.  If it is a new site and you inserted it correctly, this shouldn't
happen.  Alarms should sound when the set backs up or gets crimped.  Hence
the clamp...

> The representative ran some test but couldn't run a test to set alarm
> off  because I didn't have a clamp.

The clamps come in the resevoir box in a little plastic bag.

> 5.  We the new infusion set on I ran this test:
> I put 7 units in a syringe and injected it onto a tissue and it made a
> wet spot the size of a half dollar.
> I then bolused 7 units with the pump at the quick release point and it
> made a wet spot the size of a pencil tip.
> I told the rep this and he said, he was there to see himself, but it
> should be the same.

But wouldn't the size of the spot depend on other variables too?

> Note: He said he mail out a new belt clip no charge. I'm surer if I was
> Diabetic and had Insulin instead of Saline he would of taken more
> aggressive action.
> Dennis Cardone

Most of these problems sound more like unfamiliarity and tubing and resevoir
problems than anything to do with the pump itself.  There are genuine
reasons to prefer disentronic to minimed and minimed to disentronic but none
of these have much to do with pump features.  The tubing and resevoir
problems are perpetual.  They have gotten better over the years.  They never
disappear entirely.  During a good run I can sometimes go as long as 6
months without one.  Pumping is not problem free so if you are putting a
child on a pump you need to understand that which ever pump you choose you
will need to problem solve for meals, exercise, tubing changes, site
problems, etc anywhere from 10 times to one time per day forever!!  This is
important.  A pump is a fantastic tool but it is only as competent, calm,
capable and effective as you are and things will go wrong everytime you make
a mistake.  The pump "breaks" mayber every 5-6 years (sometimes because I've
done things like drop it in the toilet so that is really my fault too) but
you and your child will frequently make mistakes.  Many of them will get
easier and steadily less frequent.  New ones will appear later and get
steadily more frustrating for periods of time.  Pumping is a great thing but
it requires patience and thoughfulness.  Sorry for the lecture but sometimes
people seem to have been sold an "easy" alternative.  It's not easy.  It
makes some things easier.  It also requires a good bit of work.

Best of luck.