Re: [IP] humalog

Steve (beevis?) wrote:

>When I tried to use Humalog in my pump, it was like poison to me.  I had
>some of the most rapid and intense lows of my life.  Has anyone else had
>that experience with it?  Maybe it was just me.  I told my endocrinolgist
>about it, since he was the one who suggested it, and I sure hope he
>documented that somebody had a bad reaction to it.
>Sometimes it is hard with BR because you have to time all your meals and
>boluses.  This is especially hard at work, especially if the weather gets
>bad and flight schedules corrupt (I work for Delta).  But I can definitely
>live with that.  Just have to watch that spontanious eating.

Yup, been there, done that.  I would feel the low coming on while I was
still eating my meal, and follow with an hour of trying to dig out from
under it.  Those humalog lows were the most stubborn I have ever
experienced.  I have a solution though.  I know you are new to this list so
this may sound radical to you but there are several of us here doing this
with success:

Mix some R or V (velosulin) in with your Humalog to take the edge off.  I
personally mix 3 parts H to one part V, others use a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio.  You
still get the rapid onset action of the H, but you don't get the rocket
ride of H alone.  I get a nice flat response in my bg by doing this.  A
small rise after a meal (20 to 30 points) and then back to my pre-meal
level within about 2 hours. I am able to bolus right before I eat, so
spontaneity is once again a part of my life.

I have been mixing like this since last April. I've had no adverse
reactions, the insulins blend well.  Other people have reported being able
to use an infusion site longer than on H alone by mixing.  I had to twist
my endo's arm to convince him to let me try it, but after my success, he
has recommended it to other patients.  You might want to look into it.
Currently about 10% of the pumpers on this list are mixing insulins in
their pumps.

Mary Jean
MM507 for 22 months, and going strong