Re: [IP] Ann Landers

	I'm having a hard time with all this apparent selfishness and
inconsideration being put forth by so many of the members of this list.  It
really is selfishness isn't it?   It has nothing to do with educating the
rest of the world about the problems we diabetics face each day.  Indeed,
putting syringes and bleeding fingers on restaurant tables is hardly an
effective way to educate the masses!  Why make someone look away or have
them faint if you want to teach?   To me it boils down to a question of
human dignity.  When my sister-in -law was dying of breast cancer (at age
49) a few years ago, I was constantly amazed at the dignity with which she
handled her certain death.   She never forced her illness on others, never
made them feel guilty for their health, never walked in public with her
bald head, and always was involved with cancer education activities.  My
wife and I and our 4 daughters (including the one with cerebral palsy)
still run each year the the Komen race for the cure.   I'm not sure I could
have handled her situation in so dignified a manner.    Heather, I can't
remember how often during her year and half illness I would truly give
thanks that I was in fact "blessed" with just diabetes, a disease that I
have been able to manage for 40 years.  Let's work toward educating the
public about diabetes.  Shocking, scaring, or otherwise forcing ourselves
in their faces is surely not the way to do it.

<<<<<It's making me so angry to hear about how offensive we are to people who
become faint at the sight of blood or needles.  I used to be one of those
people... and then I got diabetes.  I think "respect" is the operative
word here.  Those people should be glad they don't have to be the one
using the needle, and learn to look away when they come into contact with
a diabetic testing themselves -- which anyway, how often does that
happen?  How many diabetics do you notice every day, and how often do
they happen to be checking their sugar?
	As Sara said, I will test wherever and whenever I want, and when my
friends look away because they think it's "gross," fine.  I didn't invent
the needle.  It's a part of everyday life.. of flu shots, taking blood,
giving life... and all these queasy people are going to have to deal with
it sooner or later at their own doctor's office anyway.  I will not nurse
their phobias.
Miranda >>>>>>
<<<<<<<<If people faint at the site the site of blood, then they should
have any
opportunity to look away.  Some people say they are offended by seeing
dark skin on someone -- How closed minded can people get.  What if
someone doesn't like to look at wheelchairs, or a brace, or glasses?. .
. These things help people live, just as insulin injections or pumps,
and bg testing help people "blessed" with diabetes live.
Heather,  age 17 dx'd age5 pumping 1 year>>>>>>>>>