Re: [IP] Re: Sofset problem

>On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 email @ redacted wrote:
>> I have a new pumper who seems to have a problem keeping her Sofsets
in place.
>> It seems that the set creeps back out of the skin after insertion.
We have
>> tried Hypafix, Skin Prep,  and "sandwiched" between a Polyskin and
the IV
>> 2000. She has no options on using other sets as Medicaid only
approves the
>> Sofset without the Quick Release. We may have to switch to the needle
>> but she is a Mom of an active 2 year old, and the possibility of
getting the
>> needle site bumped is something to contend with. Any suggestions from
>> group would be greatly appreciated.
>> Barbara B.
>The problem sounds entirely mechanical. A good solution if the patient
>has adequate 'fatty' tissue is to move the set to a location where the
>underlying tissue is ont as resiluant. This will provide a more stable
>foundation for the set and keep the wiggle factor down. The abdomen is
>very easy to deform and the movement of the set on the surface of the
>abdomen will cause it to creep out. All the usual other sites should be
>considered, hips, thighs, buttocks, etc..
>My 'engineering' observations.

I agree with Michael on some points.  My ab has never worked for me -- I
use hips and buttocks, but Sof-sets are very difficult to keep in
anywhere.  The part that sticks out gets caught on everything, and it
pulled out on me many times.  I have switched to Rapids cuz they're easy
and fairly comfortable.  We had to petition our HMO to cover the pump in
the first place, but after that hurdle the insertion sets were fairly
easy.  I was allergic to the "plastic" in the Sof-sets -- maybe that
could be mentioned to medicare.