Re: [IP] Clogging up is getting me down!

> John Bowen and Nancy Morgan wrote:
> My 9 year old daughter has been pumping almost 3 months now.  In the past two
> weeks, we have had 3 clogged infusion tubes, versus none prior to that.  What
> are we doing wrong? Twice the clogs have been right where the hub connects to
> the tubing, and once the clog was in the tubing, almost at the end.  Jenna has
> a Disetronics, uses Humalog, and uses the 23" tubing with a comfort set.  She
> rarely disconnects (baths are about it).  I keep her insulin in the
> refrigerator until it's time to load a new cartridge - and interestingly, 2 of
> the 3 clogs were on the day after we began a new cartridge.  Her flow rates
> are fairly low, 0.2 units per hour most of the time, with meal boluses that
> range from 2.5-4.0 units of insulin.  I need your wisdom- what are we doing
> wrong, what can we do to fix this clog problem?  She's tired of the 400 sugars
> that result, and it's hard for me to leave work to go troubleshoot for her so
> much.

Not sure, but wonder if the infusion sets ae tilted in too much so it
hits muscle, which doesn't let the insulin out as easily. Low flow rates
in combination with that could get problematical.

Only other unlikely thing that comes to mind is the slight possibility the
tube gets twisted hard somehow. Check for strain marks, usually white areas
that don't move with the flow. Sometimes they block the flow because the
coating inside the tube delaminates.

Ted Quick