[IP] Ann Landers

I totally agree.

If I was with people I didn't know, or at a very formal table I might
not inject with siringes.  With family and friends I have no problem
checking, etc.  but I would mention that I was starting.   PUMPS ARE
GREAT IN THIS SITUATION!  I have been blessed with very understanding
family and friends.  I am in high school, and thus must change for gym
and sports in a crowded locker room, and check bg and bolus, etc, and
nobody cares.  I have had questions, but they are all polite and
interested.  Sometimes I'm uncomfortable answering and talking about
diabetes, but I would much prefer this to rude stares.  People need to
be educated!  Aids posters and comercials are all over the place, and no
one writes about how tactless they are (not that I think this, just an
example).  Diabetes is being diagnosed in greater numbers, and education
and acceptence should follow!

>From: email @ redacted

>Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:41:41 EST

>Subject: Re: [IP] Ann Landers

>I've been mulling over the Ann Landers issue, and guess I have come out
>somewhere in the middle.   I had gone out to dinner with friends the
night
>before it came out, and was squeezed in the middle of the long bench at
the
>back of the table.  I did not even consider leaving to do my test, but
went
>ahead and did it without mentioning it -- but then the woman next to me
wanted
>to see my pump and that became the topic of conversation, so obviously
she had
>noticed.  All these people were close friends who have probably seen me
both
>test and inject many times, and talking with them today I can't believe
they
>are such good actors that it bothers them in any way.  I also would
have
>trouble believing anyone else in the resturant could have noticed
(unless they
>recognized the meter and then they were probably diabetic themselves).
>
>But  I was reminded of when I was nursing my daughter years ago and how
>uncomfortable that seemed to make my mother-in-law.  Ann was about 3
weeks old
>and nursed very frequently.  We were supposed to be waiting in NY at
the in-
>laws for a call to say our furniture had arrived in Boston (we had left
Dallas
>the day after I got out of the hospital -- and this was back before
home
>monitoring -- see what we could do even back then).  Since during the
day the
>6 of us were mostly all in a one-bedroom apartment and the only private
place
>to nurse was the bathroom, we finally decided to just go to the empty
Boston