Re: [IP] Re: Sofset problem

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 email @ redacted wrote:

> I have a new pumper who seems to have a problem keeping her Sofsets in place.
> It seems that the set creeps back out of the skin after insertion.  We have
> tried Hypafix, Skin Prep,  and "sandwiched" between a Polyskin and the IV
> 2000. She has no options on using other sets as Medicaid only approves the
> Sofset without the Quick Release. We may have to switch to the needle sets,
> but she is a Mom of an active 2 year old, and the possibility of getting the
> needle site bumped is something to contend with. Any suggestions from the
> group would be greatly appreciated.
> Barbara B.
The problem sounds entirely mechanical. A good solution if the patient
has adequate 'fatty' tissue is to move the set to a location where the
underlying tissue is ont as resiluant. This will provide a more stable
foundation for the set and keep the wiggle factor down. The abdomen is
very easy to deform and the movement of the set on the surface of the
abdomen will cause it to creep out. All the usual other sites should be
considered, hips, thighs, buttocks, etc..

My 'engineering' observations.