Re: [IP] 200+BGs while on pump?

Sam Skopp wrote:
> I have discovered a curious phenomena when priming the pump. If the
> quick-disconnect end of the tubing for the Silhouette is held low it seems
> to fill rapidly... but when you raise it up much higher than the pump, the
> drop at the end of the needle diappears... priming a bit more then brings
> it back. I wonder if some reports of highs after doing a new set might be
> due to falsely thinking that the set had been fully primed, when in reality
> it had not.
> My unscientific guess is that holding the quick-disconnect end of the
> tubing higher than the pump while it is priming, forces it to push more
> insulin into the tubing and equalizes the pressure better.

Yes, Sam, it's called "head pressure" and is the basic reason city water systems
have water towers. Fluid at a higher level will flow downward readily, upward
not at all.

Can anyone else
> verify this?

Standard physics covers it, Sam.

I'd also wonder how to tell whether doing it this way really
> makes a difference? I've been using this technique for the last 6 weeks and
> haven't had a problem with highs after inserting a new set since... but
> then, as usual, YMMV.

I always keep the syringe and connector as close to level as possible when
reloading it. No confusion that way. The infusion base is never much lower than
pump by more than an inch or 2. Also (and I've had discussions about this
when I disconnect for a shower I always put the connector higher than the pump
so that it's pushing uphill, and when I get it back on the same level it's full,
putting it lower would tend to drain it out on the surroundings, IMHO.
Ted Quick