Re: [IP] Ann Landers

Here's the letter my husband sent....

Dear Ann Landers,
         As you can see by the flood of mail that you have received. The statement
that you
allowed to be published in your 11/22 article about people with diabetes was
unwise. These are
caring parents, sweet little children and adults that were not given a choice of
whether or
not they should have diabetes. Protected under the Americans Disabilities Act,
they have the
right to perform their dreary task of dealing with this disease anywhere and
anytime they so
choose. Those who might be offended need to realize that diabetes is one of the
plagues of our time. Don't take me wrong because I feel strongly about this too
but the
statistics show that more people are affected and die from diabetes than HIV/Aids
& Breast
Cancer combined. In 1995 there were 16 million people in America affected by this
disease and
at a estimated rate of 625,000 new diabetics every year, this is an uncontrolled
destroying the precious lives of our families. At this time there is not a cure.
Only a daily
regiment of treatment to minimize the impact of destruction that takes place.
Those who are
affected don't have and were not given the choice. They have to perform these
tests and
injections to stay alive. Those who would find it offensive don't need to watch or
can excuse
themselves for the short time that it take to perform this life saving ritual. It
is attitudes
and close minded people such as your self that try so hard to keep this dreadful
covered up and hidden. There is little support and financing available for
diabetes research.
The cure is on the horizon if we could just give a little support to the cause and
inform the world about diabetes instead of trying to cover it up and pretend that
it does not
exist. The numbers don't lie and the families of approximately 180,000 dear people
who die
every year need to be published in all forms of media, including yours. There are
some very
touching stories out there and far too many sad ones. As a person in the public
eye, you might
want to consider these people before you make rash and insensitive statements that
perpetuate the lack of education and promote ignorance in our society. I feel that
you need to
retract your statement and write an apology to all those that you have offended.
You have
offended more people than any diabetic who preforms their lifesaving routine in

        Daryl Davis
        Father of Kristina Davis
        Diagnosed at the age of 6 months
        and is now 8 years old.