Re: [IP] Ann Landers

I've been mulling over the Ann Landers issue, and guess I have come out
somewhere in the middle.   I had gone out to dinner with friends the night
before it came out, and was squeezed in the middle of the long bench at the
back of the table.  I did not even consider leaving to do my test, but went
ahead and did it without mentioning it -- but then the woman next to me wanted
to see my pump and that became the topic of conversation, so obviously she had
noticed.  All these people were close friends who have probably seen me both
test and inject many times, and talking with them today I can't believe they
are such good actors that it bothers them in any way.  I also would have
trouble believing anyone else in the resturant could have noticed (unless they
recognized the meter and then they were probably diabetic themselves).

But  I was reminded of when I was nursing my daughter years ago and how
uncomfortable that seemed to make my mother-in-law.  Ann was about 3 weeks old
and nursed very frequently.  We were supposed to be waiting in NY at the in-
laws for a call to say our furniture had arrived in Boston (we had left Dallas
the day after I got out of the hospital -- and this was back before home
monitoring -- see what we could do even back then).  Since during the day the
6 of us were mostly all in a one-bedroom apartment and the only private place
to nurse was the bathroom, we finally decided to just go to the empty Boston
apartment and await the furniture there.  But there was no one else in the
family I felt uncomfortable nursing in front of (and my mother-in-law is just
fine with injections -- she had given them to her mother in later years).

So I think diabetics also probably have to be sensitive to who is bothered by
things.  I feel sorry that the man referred to in the Ann Landers letter
doesn't have a family who can take it, and I wonder if communication might not
help -- like him warning people who are bothered by it.  You would think that
the people who came to family dinners could look away for a moment if blood or
needles bother them rather than require their presumed loved one to go to a
lot more trouble than that.  In a public place, if non-close friends or family
members can see you , I would think I wouldn't want to be too intrusive about
it (i.e., blood within inches of someone who is eating), but a distance away
or after asking if it bothered anyone close it doesn't seem a problem to me.

I think the problem is really with the person who is bothered by blood or
needles, but we have to be tolerant of people with problems.

Linda Zottoli
diag 1955 at age 8