Re: [IP] Ann Landers

I have read the responses to Ann and they are very good.  Thank you all for
standing up for people with diabetes everywhere.  Here is my reply to Ann:

Dear Ann,

I have much to be thankful for this holiday season.  One reason I am thankful
is that I have family and friends that "understand" that I must check my blood
glucose and take insulin to keep myself in good health.  My family does not
consider me "insensitive" when I do these activities at a restaurant table or
in their homes.  I am very thankful that my relatives, unlike Mrs. Anonymous,
have encouraged and supported my continual battle to maintain good control of
my diabetes.  This battle has been very difficult and is made easier by their
acceptance.  Maybe this Thanksgiving you and Mrs. Anonymous should give thanks
that you have good health instead of criticizing those of us who must struggle
everyday to maintain good diabetes control.
I would like to add that Diabetes is a killer disease that is misunderstood by
the public at large.  Yes, it can be controlled somewhat, but it also leads to
many complications that are life threatening and life ending.  I wish your
readers better understood this disease and how devastating it is.  Maybe then,
a "cure" would be more forthcoming.

Ellen--IDDM 38 years(Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus)