[IP] Bravo for Laura

IN>Laura  just happened to come home sick today so I asked her to write a note
IN>back to Mrs. Landers.  Here is her letter . . .

IN>Dear Mrs. Landers,
IN>My name is Laura Lynn and I am 8 years old and I am a diabetic.  I sometimes
IN>test in the bathroom and sometimes I dont.  I dont want to have to find a
IN>bathroom when I am at the mall and they are a long ways away.  Usually there
IN>isn't anywhere to sit my stuff and i have to just set it on the sink or the
IN>floor and they are dirty.  My mom showed me what you wrote and I wish you
IN>wouldn't say we should have to go to restrooms.  Most people are not grossed
IN>out by me.  I check my Blood Sugar in my class everyday and none of the kids
IN>mind and they even think it is neat that I have a blue insulin pump and they
IN>ask me about it.  They also think it is neat that I can take shots without
IN>crying.  Most people are sorry that I have to take shots and prick my finger
IN>and are very nice to me.  I wish you would change your mind because my mom
IN>says a lot of people read what you write about.   I like being a diabetic
IN>since I have an insulin pump like Miss America.  Insulin Pumps are cool. . .

IN>Laura Lynn
IN>Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/

Great letter, little lady.  Isn't it about time that we "diabetics" come
out of the closet?  We didn't choose to become diabetic, but we are
"stuck with it" for the rest of our lives.  I for one will do anything
necessary to try and stop the complications of diabetes.  I can and will
be descrete as possible, but I WILL NOT HIDE.  Hope Ann writes you back
with her "explanitation".

David  (email @ redacted)