RE: [IP] Ann Landers

I too was outraged at the response.  This is the letter I submitted:

I was disgusted to read your response to "Mrs. Anonymous" about the relative
with diabetes injecting himself at the table.

As a survivor of diabetes for 25 years, I can't tell you how many times I've
felt like an exhile, hiding in an unsanitary restroom stall, trying to
balance a fragile glass vial without dropping it, drawing insulin in
insufficient light hoping I'm getting the correct dosage, and praying to GOD
I'm not causing myself an infection with whatever is settling down on the
needle I'm about to stick in myself.  One day I finally decided that I was
tired of hiding.  If my doing a blood test or injecting through my clothing
makes someone uncomfortable, they can turn their heads.

What next, blind people should stay home because the presence of their
seeing-eye dogs makes someone uncomfortable?

Diabetes is enough of a chore in our lives as it is.  Please don't encourage
the general public to view us as outcasts.

--Greg                              http://www.pobox.com/~gregleg/
"The most powerful force in the universe is gossip." -- Dave Barry