Re: [IP] Ann Landers

Excellent letter and great parallels.  I used to be very careful about how
and when I did things, to the point that if I had forgotten to take insulin
before I went out, I didn't take it at a restaurant and therefore not at
all.  Luckily I got the pump early on.  I was the same about blood sugars
until this year when I went to New York and followed the very energetic
Sara Falconer around.  She taught me to do blood sugars anywhere and I
appreciate it very much.  I am discreet but always do them and don't hide.

I once made the mistake at work (1993) of telling people that I would be
doing blood sugars at my desk (someone had noticed and asked me to talk a
bit about it), why I did them, and not to be surprised if they walked in
past my shut door to encounter this.  The response I got was devastating,
full of revulsion and nasty jokes.  Where did I work and who were these
insensitive louts?  I was a counsellor at a rape crisis center and all
these women were therapists.  We all saw bruises and cuts and blood and
other bodily fluids in the course of our intervention work but me doing a
blood sugar was "disgusting" and I was TOLD not to do them outside the
stall in the washroom.  I quit doing blood sugars altogether for several
years.  I realize that it was their fear of disease and ignorance and
discomfort with diabetes that made them so idiotic, but at the time it was
all I needed to be utterly ashamed of myself and my nasty "secret".

type 1, 19 years
pump, almost 14 years

email @ redacted                             Vancouver, BC, Canada