Re: [IP] Ann Landers

   Sorry to disagree, but here's my response objecting to Ann Landers' column.
All her view serves to do is reinforce society's inability to accept anyone
who is "different". Following her logic, I guess it was "grossly insensitive"
of me to go to the supermarket this summer with my pink Race for the Cure
baseball cap covering my chemo-bald head instead of my glamorous wig......just
so that the other shoppers wouldn't have to feel "uncomfortable". Here's what
I wrote.......

     " I was dismayed & disgusted by your 11/22 column in the Philadelpha
Inquirer,regarding a diabetic relative.  As the mother of a 16 yr old diabetic
daughter who has strived to make my child feel as "normal" as possible, I felt
your response was akin to the Nazi regime mentality of "isolating" society's
"misfits". Until you have accompanied a child to a dirty public restroom &
balanced 2 glass insulin bottles on your lap while seated upon the toilet &
attempting to draw up an accurate dosage of insulin in a dimly-lit stall, you
are in no position to criticize someone who administers their insulin
publicly.  The other diners always have the option of turning their head for a
few seconds.  A person with diabetes has very few alternatives. Fortunately,
my child now has an insulin pump which enables her to administer her life-
saving insulin at meal times by merely pushing buttons, but for the other 90%
of insulin dependent diabetics, short of avoiding public dining situations or
"hiding" in the bathroom, there are no options. With diabetes rates soaring &
our government expending BILLIONS of dollars to pay the costs of complications
from uncontrolled diabetes, your thoughtless, insulting comments can only
serve to make those who DO try to competently monitor their diabetes feel
reviled. Would you also consider a handicapped person to be displaying "gross
insensitivity & poor public manners" if they were eating in public & unable to
control their spasmodic movements or salivary glands???? Should they be
permanently confined to their own home? Just because a person with diabetes is
physically ABLE to excuse himself from the table does NOT mean that he should
be so obligated,so that others won't have to feel "uncomfortable"! Consider
the ramifications if you will of this type of fallacious reasoning!!