Re: [IP] Weight Gain on Pumping

Amy that's very interesting.  It seems like if you eat enough fat, then
those nasty fat cells require more energy , and hence need more insulin.
So I guess the secret to weight control is to just keep a stable daily
insulin level.
John, I too used to consider that  abilit to control weight a small
blessing.  Especially when my friends are complaining about getting fat, I
know that all I have to do is watch how much insulin I'm giving each day.
Most normal people (non-diabetics)  have basal insulin rates of 0.5 to 1 U
per hour, but I am often amazed at just how much junk food CHO they can
consume in one sitting.   I know it would take tens of units if I had to
bolus for all that!  Not surprising some get fat :-)

I agree with your disagree :-)   I've found that for me since being on the
pump there is a terrific correlation between the amount of insulin I take
and my weight.  If I need need more insulin for a few days, my weight
starts creeping up, and vice-versa.  For whatever reason this means that
the weight gain is better correlated with the amount of CHO I eat rather
than the amount of fat.   It seems that I can eat lots of fatty things, but
unless I accompany that with CHO my weight is not affected.  And with a
roughtly constant total insulin per day, my weight stays rock stable.  Of
course YMMV but I wonder if anyone else has noticed this relation.
- - -wm

That's exactly what I have discovered. I snack on things like cheese and
pepperoni and
my weight stays the same. If I snack on chips and other high carb foods, my
weight goes
up. I have found that LARGE amounts of fatty foods do effect my bg's many
hours later,
which forces me to take more insulin, which causes me to gain weight.
Moderation is the
key there.
	Me too Wayne. If I pump over 40 units a day, my weight starts to creep
up. And if I pump under low-30's a day, it starts to drop slowly. My
body weight has remained fairly constant after the initial adjustment
(down) when I started pumping a year ago.
	In these two respects I can use my figures to learn more about what my
body's doing than the non-diabetic. I count these small blessings!

Wayne Mitzner
The Johns Hopkins University
615 N. Wolfe St.,  Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446,   Fax 410 955 0299