Re: [IP] Thyroid testing

>I think that my daughter is low thyroid but the "regular"  thyroid test
>doesn't show it.  I understand that there are a number of more accurate or
>complex tests for the thyroid.  How common is it to test OK on the
>"regular" test and then test low on other more in-depth tests?
>I obviously don't know much about this....But I have heard of initial
>negatives when there really was low thyroid function.
>Diane Massey

I tested fine for all the regular thyroid tests but high for thyroid
auto-anitbodies.  My endo explained that this was an indication that my
body was beginning to attack my thyroid just as it had my pancreas.  I take
a very low dose of Synthroid as a "prophylactic" measure; to help take the
load off of my thyroid gland and hopefully preserve it's function.  I've
been doing this for about 5 years now.  Ask to have a test run for thyroid

If you have access to a backlog of Diabetes Forecast magazines, there is an
excellent article on the topic in the June 1995 issue.  If you can't find
it and would like to read it, let me know and I'll snail mail you a copy of
the article.

Mary Jean