RE: [IP] 200+ BGs while on pump?

Perhaps I can offer the approach I've taken at times.
Assuming that this is a high after a new set.  Does the bg
come down with additional insulin.  If it does then perhaps
the suggestion of increasing your new-set bolus might help.
If is tends to stay up, then, perhaps the problem is
elsewhere.  Does insulin flow from the tubing when
disconnected?  If it does, then the mechanics of the pump
are probably ok.  If not, then you might have a problem in
the pump or air in the line.  If the high is independant of
the "age" of the set, then possibly the set site has gone
bad, or your technique for insertion may be responsible.

Your comment that reducing the amount of carbs you're
ingesting might suggest that your carb/insulin ratio may
need some adjusting.  If you are taking a very large dose to
cover your meals, then you are exasperating any problem with
variable insulin action.

Lastly, if you suspect that you are running high, I always
test.  I don't want to be high (like you I don't feel my
best), and it isnt' a good thing long term.  I also find
that when I'm that high my "normal" high bg adjustment dose
of 60 mg/dl per unit doesn't hold.  It underestimates the
need; hence if I'm 180 over-target, I will need 3.5 or 4
units rather than the mathematical 3 units.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

I'm having *real* problems with my MiniMed 507C --
seem to have BGs well over 200 today.  I changed my
insusion set yesterday, and somehow got air into the
infusion tube ( which I can't *see* ).  Yesterday, my
BGs must have been > 500 and with some DKA, be-
cause I vomited several time yesterday AM.

Does anyone have a clue as to why my pump's not
working?  And why does it still partially "work." giv-
ing me BGs in the 200s?  BTW, I'm eating a *lot*
less to get them to the lower 200s...  8~/

John Huff, Dayton OH
(  type 1, dx @ 18 months, now 61 yo, pumping since 9/30/98