Re: [IP] 200+ BGs while on pump?

John Huff wrote:
> I'm having *real* problems with my MiniMed 507C --
> seem to have BGs well over 200 today.  I changed my
> insusion set yesterday, and somehow got air into the
> infusion tube ( which I can't *see* ).  Yesterday, my
> BGs must have been > 500 and with some DKA, be-
> cause I vomited several time yesterday AM.

John, first thing to do whenever a high bg appears is
to disconnect the set and boplus about 2 units while
watching the open end of the connector. If that doesn't show
insulin in that time open the pump, take out the syringe and
push in the punger until you get some coming out and don't
see bubbles behind it.

Other thing that might go wrong is if the Luer Lok connector
on the syringe isn't tight, or the hose hub is cracked, so
insulin leaks out before entering the tube. Doubtful, but if
there's any fluid around that connector see if the connection
is loose or damaged.
> Does anyone have a clue as to why my pump's not
> working?  And why does it still partially "work." giv-
> ing me BGs in the 200s?  BTW, I'm eating a *lot*
> less to get them to the lower 200s...  8~/

Sounds like you answered your own question. If you eat less
and have lower bg your having a normal response.

Ted Quick