Re: [IP] pump insulin questions

The minimed pump has a tempoary basal feature that is very easy to use. It
is advisable to check with your doctor about what rate to use to cover sick

You'll hear many different opinions about insulin being kept cool. Some
insulins can be left at room temp for about 30 days. In a pump, insulin
normally lasts at least three days. In the summer time, your insulin can
"cook" if you sun bathe and don't cover the pump. I normally wear my pump
on my belt. A few time, I have worn it in a shoulder holster under my arm.
The insulin went bad quickly.

The advice about not getting a MiniMed pump because of one bad (admittedly
major) event is not fair. Any mechanical device may fail. It is up to the
user to ensure proper operation by frequent testing, at least four times a
day. I am surprise that no one at MiniMed got back to this person. I have
had a MiniMed pump for over 11 years and have always been able to get help.
I live in the northeast and called CA at 6am my time. That's 3am their time
and the tech called back within ten minutes.

>     good day all,
>     i have two questions about the pump:
>     1. when you are sick, do you need to adjust the rates at all?
>     (fyi: my daughter is diabetic, and just turning 6.)
>     2. our insulin (both the lispro and N) will go bad if not
>     continuously refrigerated - does your insulin in the pump go bad
>     quickly?  i know you change it out every three or so days, but
>     especially for children, effectiveness of the insulin is very
>     important since the total amount given is relatively small as
>     compared to adults...
>     thanks
>     skip lightner

I've been using a pump for a year.  Disetronic pumps have an easy way to
temporarily raise the basel rate when you are sick or traveling, etc.  I
wouldn't get a minimed if I were you.  I used one for three weeks last
year, and it stopped delivering insulin.  I was in a coma for 36 hours.
When we went to the company they were no help at all and didn't even
return our phone call.

Another good thing about disetronic is that you can fill the pump half
full if you lose less insulin than a full grown adult.  I am 17, and
active, so I use about 150 units in 2.5 to 3.5 days.  Sometimes if I go
over three days the insulin is less effective(I use humolog).  I would
say that you're safe if you refill the pump every three  days.
Good Luck!