Re: [IP] Hello

larryelainerodgers wrote:
>   Larry has been on the midi-med 307C pump for 2 weeks..at first he was
> having trouble with bent needles at the injection site, but we now have
> that figured out..now he has gone through 12..yes..12 softsets in 2
> weeks...part of those are from bent needles, but he has had to change
> his pump site at least every 1 1/2 days because he suddenly gets a NO
> DELIVERY on his pump...any ideas??? It seems great the first day or so,
> but then that happens..we have just been completely changing the site
> and soft set, but I have read where many people go over 3 days..how do
> you do it??????

Is he using the detachable QR SofSets? If so, he can check that the
pump will deliver through the disconnected hose to see if it's the
hose or site that's the problem. With the set disconnected he can also
change the syringe with new insulin in it since that may also be a problem.
Myself, I use Humalog......does he? I've found it loses effect after 2.5
days, and may also jam the pump and/or site at that point.

Another thought, the infusion set sometimes gets pushed in when in motion,
and this may either plug the Teflon canula tip or crimp it. Sometimes this
can be fixed by pulling the head of the infusion base a bit to relieve
pressure on the tip, though SofSets are too easy to pull straight out
when trying to do this.

>   Also Larry works out REALLY hard and sweats buckets..this always
> loosens the tape and then the set..he is using the new tape medi-mail
> sent..Is there something better we can do?

There is another kind of infusion set, sold by MiniMed as the Silhouette.
They stick a lot better for most people and are a lot easier to deal with
in my experience. They can be seen on MiniMed's webpage. He may want to
call MiniMed for a few samples.

>   He is still also experiencing some 300+ mornings...this is usually on
> the way to work, NOT when he first gets up..His diabetologist is still
> trying to figure it out...

It doesn't sound like this is constant for him, but may be Dawn Phenomenon
that shows up late. He'll likely have to explore adjusting the basal rates
up at some point in the morning to counteract it, but that gets tricky if
it isn't constant. Come to think of it, he could be going low before waking
up and suffering from Somogyi Effect only on certain nights. This could be
reflected later on SOME but not all days.

>   He had really good control on shots, and we were hoping for better
> results with the pump, but it had been very frustrating for both of us!
> How long did it take for you to get all the kinks worked out and before
> you felt completely comfortable with your pump?

It varies a bit, but most people find pumping works well within 6 months or

Ted Quick