[IP] bike shorts and safety pins

A few days ago you told us about Lily and her homecoming dance dress.  You
mentioned that she attached her pump to a pair of bicycle shorts with a
safety pin.  Could you elaborate, if possible?  (I imagine you weren't in
the room while she was getting dressed -- you were probably downstairs
giving the young man the standard "if you touch my daughter" lecture
<vbg>.)  Exactly how was the safety pin used to secure the pump?

Mary Jean