Re: [IP] carb counting

At 02:38 PM 11/18/98 EST, you wrote:
>I need some help with accurate calculations..... The CDE/dietician I spoke to
>when I first started on the pump said to calculate a bolus for pasta in this
>     1oz =  10g CHO  so,  say 5 oz  of pasta = 50g CHO
>but after recently reading the Pumping Insulin book an appendix at the back
>gave a diffferent way:
>      wt in grams       x      .24       =    #g CHO
>      of portion
>By using this method and the same serving size (5 oz  is approx  150g)
>        150g  x  .24    =      36g  CHO
>For my CHO to insulin ratio (8 : 1)   the amount of insulin would be very
>different, either  6.3    or      4.5   units.
>Does anyone have a more accurate way of working this out?  I would really
>appreciate your help.  I want to have as godd control as possible, but
want to
>avoid hypos.   Thanks.
>                                                                        Karyn

I usually measure my pasta by volume instead of by weight.  I've found that
a 1-cup serving of cooked pasta is just about 40 grams of CHO.  I eat *a
lot* of pasta and have had pretty consistent results using this number.  If
you would rather weigh your pasta, perhaps you could measure one cup, put
it on the scale and divide "40" (number of carbs) by the resulting weight
to get the amount per gram or ounce.

Bon Apetit!

Mary Jean