Re: [IP] NOT encouraging research news :-(

>For some stupid reason, I had believed that a cure for this disease would be
>while my child was still a child. After attending this seminar, I guess I have
>been shocked into the reality that this will not be the case. I may not even
>be around to see him cured! I ask again, "What can we do?"

Your points are very valid.  In 1973 I & my parents were told a cure only a
few years away.  Others have been told the same as far back as the mid

You are right; more money needs to be dedicated to researching a cure
instead of statistical work on  how better bg control delays complications
etc.  This is not a political reality as Diabetes si still seen as a 100%
controlable disease and the ones who die from it do so by their own lack of
comlpiance to Doctors' orders.  Even most health care professionals see
diabetes in this light.

What to do?  Educate as many people as possible and hope for better control
tools.  We are making great advances as i speak as one who remembers the
days of urine testing and one injection per day therapy.

On a bright note I feel that a cure for diabetes will not come out of
research into diabetes but as a spin off of other research related to other
diseases and gene therapy.  So don't be discouraged by the lack of diabetes
research funding.  Look at other areas of research and extrapolate from
those areas the possible spin-offs for us!

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!