[IP] From Patty & Pete (SCAREY)

To all our pumper friends,

We just want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support.  It has helped
enormously. I think it's impossible to reply to everyone individually so
this is to everyone.   We no longer accept a BS of 79 as normal - especially
at night.  We have our emergency kits in the car,  our home and our
relatives homes and in her purse. She will never be alone while driving and
when she is alone at home someone always knows. If her BS drops below 80 she
will turn off the pump take some glucose tablets,  call someone to let them
know of her status. She does have a cell phone.  (oh, my wife hates me now)
We check her BS every 15 -30 - 60 min depending on her current BS.  The last
few days her BS have been around 150-180 because we are a little gun shy
with the insulin.  The Dr. has us checking her BS at Midnight,  3:00am -
5:00am and 6:30am during the night.  Just until the first trimester is over.
He said the BS shouldn't be so brittle after that.  Just a few more weeks.
(she just about 10 weeks now)  The Dr. said not to worry, the baby should be
fine.  The low BS don't hurt the fetus.  If you have extreme sustained highs
it increases the chances of problems.  He told us most fetus problems occur
in women who don't know they are diabetic until the 7 month of pregnancy.
 I think he's trying to relax us because both of us are worried)

Anyway I have some new questions for everyone,

I'm a airline pilot so I am not at home everynight.  Is there any device
that can warn her when her BS is low at night, wake her up, and if she
doesn't respond in some way it will automatically call someone? ( Don't
worry, While she is pregnant until 1 yr after she will sleep at her mom's
when I'm gone.

Are these numbers correct - 1 unit reg will lower BS about 30-50 points on
average ?  15 grams of carbo will raise BS about 30 pts?  I know it can be
different for everyone and their situation so I'm looking for averages.  Any
suggestions would be great.

Well that's it for now, once again thanks for the help everyone,

Pete & Patty Corrao